The project is divided in Work Packages which involves a laboratory phase (WP1, WP2, WP3, WP4) and a scale up phase (WP5, WP6)
- WP1: Set-up of extraction method of cutin and isolation of almost 400 g of cutin from 4 type of tomato wastes.
- WP2: Production, analysis and selection of the base resins for 100% or modified natural lacquers.
- WP3: Development of lacquer formulation completely or partially natural, to apply on metal packaging.
- WP4: Outcome of the technological parameters of the applied lacquers on metal sheet in contact with model food solution. Legal conformity statements for the selected natural lacquers. Compliance with EU Reg. 1935/2004 and 2002/73.
- WP5: Production of cans; specification of technological characteristics.
- WP6: Performance of new cans: specification of commercial shelf life and LCA.
The laboratory phase will determine the limits and technical problems related to the production and application of new paint to make the appropriate changes and optimize it. During the scale-up phase the technological parameters of the industrial production of the new can will be studied. In this way information on the shelf life of the new packaging will be obtained in the course of the project (24 months).
The final result is a tinplate can prototype suitable for vegetable and fish products.